In this article, Kitchen CUT Co-Founder John Wood looks at why stock taking (or inventories as it is also referred to) is important and the impact it can have on your business. It needn’t be a time-consuming task…
What is it?Taking stock or Inventory is basically the same thing in regards to hotels and restaurants. They are both a process of counting the amount of stock (whether that be food, drink, equipment, linen or any other products) you use in your business. The quantities are then matched up with the cost of each ingredient and then a report is produced allowing the team to see:
- How much they have of each item in quantity.
- How much the value is of each item and a total value.
- A comparison against previous stock takes/ inventories in both quantity and value.
- Their stock value does not change that much so why keep taking stock?
- The job takes too many man hours and involves a number of people with sometimes double or triple handling of the process.
- The figures are highly inaccurate, especially with food, as many kitchens can have up to 30% of stock value in pre-made recipes, bulk production and dishes.
At Kitchen CUT we have developed a unique system that will allow you take stock/inventory in a fraction of the time, with accurate and up-to-date prices from your suppliers automatically linked to your items. In addition, it links to all of your sub-recipe and recipe costings to give you a 100% accurate figure of the stock you hold. All of this will be costed and calculated in front of your eyes as you take stock!
Stock Take using Kitchen CUT
What does this mean for your business?
- No more double/ triple handling with different people and departments.
- No more searching through printed reports and manually writing the figures in.
- No more guessing pre-made products or dishes to what their value should be.
- No more waiting days to get value and details from your reports – they are instantly ready to view.
- Save hours of time and labour creating simple easy to use reports on smart phones/ tablets/ laptops.